Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Unforgettable Journey - Part 1

WARNING!!! Long and many entries on the same topic!!!
Hehe! Just my way of keeping as memories…

 

Chapter 1: Pre-Concert
From the dance steps to the dance formations to children’s costumes to their accessories, I’m very much independent this year. Unlike two years ago though I also had graduating classes but I had a mentor who worked closely with me as it was then my first year with the school.


#1 - Song/Dance
We were given the song much earlier this year as more than the actions, Principal emphasized a lot on children singing the song.


“My Number One” was assigned to my class, a song that I have never hear before, not to mention the children. After I familiar with the song, I introduced to the children sentence by sentence. 
There is even a short rap in the song and this acts as a challenge to the boys who got to sing out the words fast and clearly.
The children were simply amazing! Thumbs up!!!
Just within 2weeks, the children were able to sing the entire song and the boys took less than 2weeks to be able to memorize and sing out the rap without any prompting.


Not my first time choreograph dance steps or plot formation for children but this was a little challenging as find the song tempo a little unique. But I thank God that with the help of internet, one of my colleague and my own juice … came out wit the steps and the formations that received good feedback after the concert.

#2 - Costume
Find this year’s in-search-of-costume was like a spiritual warfare. Haha! So much opposition and last minute hiccup.

At the shop we settled at, this is our 3rd year with them. Together with my K2 colleague, we went all the way to the west to check out their stock. It didn't takes us long before she found one for her class and I found one for mine
.

Calls were made. Emails were sent. 

A week or so later, we were told to collect the different sizes that came from their factory in HK. Upon reaching there, only my colleague got hers but I was told they don’t have any more stock for the design I chose.
I almost flipped cause they didn't inform me at all throughout our wait and even during my emails with the Lady Boss.


Then on my own, I went around to search at different places (ever blogged) while waiting for the Lady Boss who promised to email me their new designs. But after a long wait and she failed to despite my emailsss so as time was tight, Principal decided to let my girls go for tailor-made by the Aunty who does the boys’ costumes.
Work continued - measurements for the girls, fittings/marking etc.

Part of the girls’ costume, I also need to get white plain top. Due to the quantity I need, I had to go several places to get all 27 pieces. 


But that’s not the end as there were some hiccups when the girls tried on during their full-dress rehearsal. Another long story but thank God eventually everything went well. 


  
#3 - Accessories
The girls - as their overall costume kind of plain, I was advised to have some accessories to brighten it up. With the help of my mentor who found mini hat, I traveled on my own to get after the approval from Principal. The purchase was smooth and the effect after the girls put on was amazing, really very pretty.
Only problem occurred was the quality of the hat as either the clips or the “diamond” came off, even at the very last minute before full dress rehearsal and minutes before they go out for the actual performance. 



The boys - usually boys don’t have accessories, theirs will be as simple as possible. But as they were be rapping so I just thought why not act a sunglasses for them?
And the search, intense one started as I went places after places to look for cool and budgeted ones. I was given another option of those “kiddish sunglasses” but that was my last option and also due to their bad quality. Thank God at the very last minute, I found affordable ones as I actually didn’t claim from school - a blessing from me to my 22 boys. 



After which I still got to purchase string as the boys cant manage their sunglasses well while dancing and running thus I had to tie and hang around their neck.
At the end of the day, all time spent and miles went were worth it cause beside the good response from the crowd when the boys put on, whats more important is that the boys love and were happy about ownership of their very own sunglasses. 


  
What an unforgettable pre-concert journey!

to be continued... 

No comments: