Tuesday, September 15, 2009

overly anxious?

One conversation I had with a parent just yesterday...

Parent: Cher Lim, I am thinking of sending my Child B to this school in the morning then to PAP in the afternoon. Do you think it will be tough for him?
Cher Lim: @@
Parent: You know, my friend’s son is in that PAP. They write a lot. They already started writing many Chinese words English to
o.
~~~~~~~
Cher Lim: Hmm… instead of sending him to two schools, why not enroll him at our side whole day?
Parent: What will he do in the afternoon? Got homework? Got worksheet?
Got writing
Cher Lim: @@!

Then she ended by pouring her heart out that she is worried for her boy, worried her boy cannot make it in primary one (boy is only in K1 this year), worried about her son's speech cause he cant pronoun pronoun certain words clearly (despite having the confirmation from speech therapist that her son is ok) etc.


I too happened to ask about her second daughter who I taught before on how she is doing in primary one. Mum said she top the class but what really @@ me was the mum didn’t really give much credit to her daughter but claimed “because I started tuition early for her, when she was in K1 already”.

Like what I told the mum MANY times, probably since two years ago when I taught her daughter during her two years of K2 education that both her children actually doing fine academically - like for the boy in K1 this year, when I popped out a word to the whole class, just when there were complete silence, this boy bravely name out the word correctly. And few weeks back when a friend was struggling to identify the numerals, he was there to "teach" him.
ps: why two years of K2 for the daughter? Because when she was 5years old, mum felt that she is capable and want her to go for K2.


Sometime it can get pretty disappointing and angry to encounter parents who are overly anxious. Only in preschool, don’t know what to expect when they enter into primary/secondary…

No comments: