Monday, March 22, 2010

peace!!!

In one of my recent blog entries, I shared about few students from NP came to our school for attachment and “rare-ly” one of them was actually a guy!

One of the sessions, both classes of K2 children were out to water their plant - me + 2 NP students with my class and Cher M + 2 NP students with her class.

Just when I was getting my children to queue up, suddenly I heard Mr L shouted loudly at the children attached to his class. He made two sentences but I can only remembered one - “Stand here now!”. Trust me - his tone was LOUD and FIRM!
The children were shocked, my children were shocked, Cher M was shocked, I was shocked and the other NE students were shocked too.


The most “interesting” thing is that the children were quiet only for like 20secs then shortly after you could hear giggling/talking from them already. * flipped *
Shortly after, Cher M got the children together for a “lecture” and before getting them to apologize to Mr L.


This was witnessed by another passerby who called up one office staff which later went up to the principal - seem like quite a “serious” issue as afterall this is not the “culture” of LSK and I guess not right for a “attachment student” to misuse the authority that way?

Under that kind of “circumstance”, is actually understandable for children to behave that way - slightly loud and carried away - after all they are excited being a gardener and of course cant wait to water their plant.

Mrs E Tan aka the principal addressed this issue and I’m @@ at some of her sharings:
- don’t expect and put our “standard” on our children, they are still CHILDREN
- statements like “You are already in K2, why you still like this like that”, “You are already 6 years old, why you cannot like this like that” are no no
* children are children … how to ask them to keep quiet and don’t talk
Hmm… Mrs E Tan is really a different principal. =)


This incident has made me reflect the years...
I remembered when I first started out as a teacher in PCF kindergarten, my patience towards children wasn’t that good as well - can easily find me shouting here and there (that’s why my voice so eeeeks now … failed to use it well).

Slowly as the years went, really thank God that He enlarged my patience tank.
Hmm... and also more immune to the "loudness" created by children?

At times when the children get out of hand, I told myself I must release one “big volcano” which sometimes can be quite “effective” but somehow I just find it hard to let myself be very angry.

1 comment:

NHI said...

I LIKE your principal and her style! :)