Friday, June 12, 2009

the POWER of NO WORDS


One conversation I had with a friend recently after he knew I'm a preschool teacher
(or I should say this conversation is not new to me)…


Friend: What are you doing now?
Me: Oh… I am a teacher.
Friend: Wow! A teacher!?
Me: Aiya! Just kindergarten only.
Friend: Easy or not?
Me: Alright. Not too bad.
Friend: Children nowadays are very hard to handle. Look at my niece, so naughty.
Me: Haha! Ok ar… you must know how to “deal” with them.
* conversation went on *

When it comes to the discipline in my class…
If Cher Lim is too fierce… children may flee or may be afraid to come
If Cher Lim explains too chim… children may have ????
If Cher Lim is not firm enough… children may be found over her head
Balance is the key!

I always find the degree of children listening to the teachers very interesting… * that's why decided to blog about it *

For almost all of my children currently and past, I can say they have the basic respect and fear for teachers thus is not so tough getting them to listen/obey.
Children are afterall children … teachers are always teachers. Haha!
Some children behave differently @ home and in school. Very often we will get shock when the parents tell us how naughty their children are @ home but not so in school where they are like angels. Of course they can be the opposite cases too but rather rare. Haha!

"The Power of No Words" - sometime it can be quite interesting to see how at times preschool teacher doesn't have to say anything or nag a lot but with the power of her eyes or just "excuse me" and the children will behave. Mostly they know the "expectations" from the teacher and also probably they know which teacher cannot play play or when cannot play play.
Children are very smart you know! =)

No comments: