Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"MaKe ChEr LiM dIsApPeAr!"

Previously @ my kindergarten, children will only have snack time with menu like biscuit with milo, macaroni, bread etc.
Most of it are children’s “familiar & favourite food” so no prob getting them to eat.


@ my current schoolhouse, due to some enrichment classes etc, children will have to take their lunch in school. Just this term, we started to cater food, the daily menu actually can be pretty sumptuous with a daily must-have fruit.

Few examples...
rice + sweet and sour fish, fishball + veg soup and apple

OR
rice + fish fritter, beancurd + cabbage soup and watermelon
OR
hor fun with gravy + papaya

But it can be a “challenge” to get some of the children to eat. Usually I will pray before that God will shorten my “suffering“ time. Haha!

Some common statements…
“What is this? I don’t want that!”
“I don’t want the fish”
“I don’t want the carrot”
“I don’t eat this chicken”
The most favourite line - “I don’t want veggie”

There will also be few who take 30mins to eat two spoons of rice or ten minutes to chew their food and usually I got to “remind” them to eat/chew.
Haha! No joke! You really got to see them in action (or out?).


I will have parents coming to me with different requests when it comes to their child’s eating. Understandable, that’s why as much as possible, I will try to help “fulfill” their request.


Most of the time veggie is the enemy of the children. Haha!
But thank God what’s enemy to the children @ home will not be the “enemy” to the children in school.
Somehow they don’t have the chance to be picky with Cher Lim around. Haha!

Recently…
CaSe #1
* lunch time *
Child A: Cher Lim, can… can I don’t eat the veggie?
Cher Lim: What do you think? Of course not, you got to eat. Veggie good for you.
* seconds later *
Child A: * took out his god pendant *
Cher Lim: Haha! Child A, what happened?
Child A: * smiled silently *
Cher Lim: You want to make Cher Lim disappear so you don’t have to eat veggie?
Friend V: Quick, make Cher Lim disappear!
Child A: * mumbled to himself with a cheeky look *
Cher Lim: Ding Ding! Cher Lim is still here. Please eat your veggie.
Friends: Haha!

CaSe #2
A K1 boy Child B who doesn’t like to eat veggie, will give me a “going-to-vomit” face when I ask him to eat. After a talk with the mum who said he just being picky and want me to help ensure he eats veggie in school… muahaha … of course Cher Lim will gladly help.
At first he ate the veggie unwillingly cause is Cher Lim’s instruction so no way of “negotiating“. Haha! At one time he told me “I eat the veggie already! I swallow!” Opps! But just last week before I can ask him, he told me “I love veggie!” Haha! And now you don’t really see the “going-to-vomit” face anymore.

CaSe #3
A K2 girl who often “struggle” to finish her food - not just solid food like rice but even a slice of bread.
Cher Lim: Child C, you don’t eat veggie?
Child C: I only eat carrot and broccoli
Cher Lim: Oh! Then this (pointing to her rice) is carrot.
Child C: I don’t want…
Cher Lim: Why? Is carrot too.
Child C: But different style
Cher Lim: * fainted *

=) no doubt it can be a “challenge” to see the children through their eating time but still it can be encouraging and will make my day when I see “result“…
- children who don’t eat veggie @ home attempted to eat in school
- children who used to hate veggie beginning to take the first step
- etc etc.

It may have started with “force” as Cher Lim’s instruction so no choice but you never know, they may eventually will learn to accept it.

No comments: