Thursday, April 07, 2005

*my SAMUEL*

Samuel – a K2 boy who I have taught since nursery. Recently saw this “change” in him that really encouraged me a lot. I was his form teacher during his nursery year so most of his 2hrs in school was spent with me. Compared now I see him and 2yrs back, there are really changes. He is a special boy who is unique in his own way but since we don't have medical cert or knowledge to prove anything, we don't have any right to label him.

Still can remember those times in nursery how he can drive the teachers (including me) to the wall. But at times he can be real interesting … the funny stuff he will do is like he will remove his shoes and smell his socks if not he will go around throwing toys/duster right to the top of the cupboard. Clearly remember this heart-breaking incident when he did something wrong, had a hard time “grabbing” him to stand infront of him as I want to talk to him … he couldn’t establish eye-contact with me and then he began to have “soft bones” and went sliding away.

Don’t say about writing, he cannot hold a pencil properly or even colour something accordingly. Slowly a little a little, he improved as he stepped into K1 then now K2 … a totally changed-boy who have grown and who have improved greatly. Just this week, got him to do pattern-recording … not only he could continue the A-B pattern that I start for him, he can even colour the templates according to the coloured cubes he took. WOW WOW WOW!

Have this thought: A child may have a little learning disability which can be an “obstacle” but that doesn’t mean that we can remove “learning” in their life. We should keep providing the time, the love, the encouragement the child need. Though they may not show instant results but never think that they didn’t learn anything.

Right now … Samuel could better express himself, understand instruction, copy his name and colour within box etc (which he used to cant at all)! Wow wow wow … I am so happy for him! Recently his parents also brought him to do assessment for special school … praying for him that he could receive better help and stronger support to GROW grow GROW.

No comments: