Friday, July 09, 2010

Visit and Visit

One of LSK teachers’ responsibilities is to make visitation to the children in their form classes. The priority will be the non-believers first. Up to today I visited few houses, with my level head or/and Chinese teacher.

Recently I had one which lasted for 1hr 30mins… we actually planned for 1hr. Opps!
It was a Christian family but the urgency to visit was due to my level head who wanted to get to know the family before introducing a cg to her as she recently changed church.

Characters involved: Boy A & Mrs T

Months back, Mrs T came to me to find out more about her son. She highlighted her fears especially after a teacher in one of his enrichment classes told her that her son has “learning difficulty”.
I almost flipped when I heard the term - this is my second time hearing this kind of label from enrichment teacher on a child, thought that’s quite a harsh word to use?

With that, the mum immediately sends her son to many different assessments - private and in even in hospital. I shared with the mum about my observations and assured her that her child is doing well academically and I don’t find Boy A has “learning difficulty“. I totally cant agree with the term “learning difficulty” being labeled on him. And even later when I told Z Laoshi, she was also shocked as she also cant accept the term on Boy A.

All the assessments somehow affected Boy A.
Mum was sharing with me that Boy A know that he got to undergo some "special tests" and told the mum that he is stupid and slow, and even his sister will laugh at him. My heart breaks just to hear that from a 6yrs old child.

I shared with the mum my observations that I find that Boy A was not as cheerful and bubbly as in Term 1. This got the mum’s attention as it was the period where she started sending her boy to the many assessments. Before the mum left, she told me that she will reconsider about all the assessments again.

Just @ the recent visit, the mum told us that she had stopped ALL assessments on her boy - cause of a statement by Miss Lim. Not forgetting the assurance from Z Laoshi & myself. And also cause both the husband and her who will do coaching at home also don't find any "problem" on Boy A. She was glad that she made the decision.
The funny thing is according to her - the enrichment teacher who used to say he has “learning difficulty” told the mum recently that the boy is “improving”.

Didn't expect the mum to remember what I said till today and I'm glad that I did.

No comments: