Monday, January 24, 2011

SAME but DIFFERENT

There seem to be quite a number of “children who needed special attention” in LSK this year.
- some “medically diagnosed” but some “suspected” cases
- some only attend LSK but some also attend special school
… early intervention, kindergarten is like a place for them to mix with others and a place for them to put what they have learnt into action.

One thing that I really salute Mrs E Tan - she never reject any parents who want to send their child who needed special attention to LSK. But her policy is that during the trial period and when accepted, one of the child’s caregivers must be present at all time, reason being that this particular child may need one-to-one attention.


Recently there was this K2 child, Child GY who seem to be rejected by other kindergartens as he was diagnosed with “Dyslexia” - according to Mrs E Tan, reason would probably be that since he is medically diagnosed, not many schools/teachers will want/know how to handle/coach/teach since he may need special attention/teaching.

Mrs E Tan accepted him for trial first. One of the days, Child GY’s mum came to the principal and asked “Can Child GY come to school tomorrow?” and when Mrs E Tan replied “Yes! Can go buy school uniform for Child GY already!”, there were tears in the mum’s eyes as she replied “Really?! Child GY can continue in LSK?!”.


My heart breaks when I heard this, who knows how much this mum and of course the child went through in search for a kindergarten.
4weeks into school, according to Child GY’s form teacher, Child GY is doing well in class and he has not much difficulties learning too.

Never “label” a child...
Never stop a child's learning opportunities…
Never despite what the child can do even if the child is “medically diagnosed”…


Sometimes when I look at the “children who needed special attention” in class, it can also be quite heart-breaking.

There is this particular Child EK in the N-class that I assist. He attends school twice a week, with his grandma with him at all times. He is medically diagnosed and is quite “severe” actually so for his case, he really need one-to-one. Reason mum sent him to us is for the area of social skill.


At times it made me =( when I see how he struggled to follow/do what other children follow/do easily - be it snack, work, queue, lesson or even as simple as playtime.

And how his friends look at him with this "why he like that" expression, esp when he screamed during lesson. I am not being disappointed with his peers cause I know they don’t mean anything bad but… but… haiz… hard to explain with words here… mind in deep thoughts when I saw that scene.

During one queue up, partner Child JW used all his mights and strengths to hold Child EK’s hand. Despite Child EK struggled and struggled. Child JW still hold on tight with his two hands, though can see from his look that he must be thinking why Child EK is like that.
Eventually Child JW gave up holding Child EK’s hand as his reaction is too massive and rough.
Is a simple sight but it got me in deep thoughts again...

Whenever I look at them, especially recently - I do feel helpless at times. I don't find myself talking about my years of experience with children or people with special needs, I don't find myself talking about child's psychology or some special needs theory.

But I know something I can do and I want to do it well, very well - to love them more and to love them the way they are! =)

No comments: